Monitoring & Evaluation
Our years of experience conducting monitoring and evaluation of projects related to peacebuilding and conflict resolution have led us to establish the following:
Fundamentals of Evaluation Research
1. Evaluation is a form of social research.
2. Evaluation has many facets.
a. Process Evaluation
b. Outcome Evaluation:
c. Impact Evaluation:
3. Evaluation ideally starts at the conceptualization stage of a project.
4. Evaluators have the ethical responsibility to report good news and bad news.
Principles of Evaluation in the Field of Peace and Conflict
1. Informed by conflict mapping and analysis frameworks
2. Captures information for both the contextual level (i.e., the conflict issues and dynamics), and the specific level.
3. Participation and Inclusiveness
a. Give voice to the voiceless
c. Gender Inclusiveness
4. Cultural Appropriateness
5. Multiplicity of Research Methods
6. Tangible recommendations informed by intervention frameworks